UPDATE - 11-11-13
Governor Walker released the following statement on the ongoing Kenosha casino decision:
"Helping the people of Wisconsin create more jobs is my number one priority. With that in mind, I am directing the Secretary of the Department of Administration to commence extensive discussions with the tribal governments in an effort to maximize job creation in our state.
Our administration will focus on meeting the criteria set out more than two years ago. We want to create jobs without losing jobs in other parts of the state.
The federal Bureau of Indian Affairs took nine years to approve an application for a casino in Kenosha. We will not take that long, but we will invest the time necessary to reach a positive solution for the state.
I would ask that all of the interested parties spend their time and resources working with the state's team at the Department of Administration. This will ensure an objective process."
Statement from Forest County Potawatomi Attorney General Jeff Crawford:
“We appreciate Governor Walker giving a thorough and deliberate evaluation of the Kenosha casino proposal to see if it meets the criteria that he set more than two years ago.
Following his review, we expect that Governor Walker will find that this project does not meet his criteria and is not in the best interests of Wisconsin.”
MADISON, Wis. (AP) _ Gov. Scott Walker plans to release a timetable for when he will make a decision either granting or denying the Menominee tribe's request to open a casino in Kenosha.
Walker spokesman Tom Evenson says the statement will come Monday afternoon.
Walker said last week he was trying to find a way to approve the $800 million project in which the Menominee is partnering with Hard Rock International.
Walker has said he won't approve the casino unless all 11 tribes in Wisconsin support it, but so far both the Ho-Chunk and Potawatomi oppose the project, largely because they say it will cut into profits at their casinos and take away jobs.